24 senior apartments (reuse)
25 single family homes (new construction)
Client: Washington School Limited Partnership with the Walla Walla Housing Authority
- Washington State Historic Preservation Officer’s Award for Outstanding Achievement in Historic Rehabilitation (1998)
- Washington Trust for Historic Preservation Award for Outstanding Efforts in Preservation Design (1999)
- Walla Walla 2000 Architectural Award for Outstanding Renovation, Restoration and Adaptive Reuse
Originally built in 1901, this eleven-room elementary school was converted into 24 one bedroom low-income apartments for seniors. Many of the original interior and exterior details have remained as part of the design, including the refinished hardwood floors in the foyers, the interior staircase, and the original lightning rod that remains perched at the top of the bell tower. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.
The second phase of the project consists of 25 affordable single family for sale homes built on the school’s former playgrounds. The site was developed with new roads and infrastructure. The houses were designed to be compatible with the surrounding single family historic neighborhood and the historic school. The 3 and 4 bedroom homes with garages were sold for approximately $125,000 – $150,000, and utilized a special financing package for qualifying buyers.