Shoreline Historical Museum (originally located in the Ronald School)
Ronald School, a three story brick building with a bell tower, was initially constructed in phases between 1912 and 1926 and used as a school until 1971. The Shoreline Historical Museum acquired the building in 1976.
In 1998 the museum hired Les Tonkin to provide a Condition Assessment and a phased Restoration Plan. Between 2002 and 2006, following the Restoration Plan, a new elevator and an accessible entry were added. The electrical and heating were upgraded and structural/ seismic upgrades were made. The parapets and the decorative cornices were reconstructed to match the original and a new roof was installed. In 2007 Tonkin Architecture, with the assistance of historian Kathryn Hills Krafft, prepared the Shoreline/King County Landmark and National Register of Historic Places nominations which were both successfully adopted. The building was designated a City, County and Historic Landmark.
In 2010 the school district asked for the building back, initially intending to demolish it to build part of a new high school on the site. However, the King County Landmarks Board rejected the district’s plan for demolition. A lengthy legal battle followed resulting in a cash settlement, which allowed the museum to purchase a nearby property and move into the two small buildings located on the site’s eastern edge.
At that time Tonkin prepared a Master Plan for new site and the schematic design for a new 20,000 square foot museum to be built in several phases. Phase 1, now designed, permitted and bid, will provide a 5000 square foot structure that will house the museum’s collection and research/archival spaces. This initial building is designed to be fully incorporated into the final museum building.